2 pounds pork maw
2 tablespoons salt
2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
4 stalks celery, finely chopped
4 small onions, finely chopped
4 small green bell peppers, cored, seeded and
5 pounds precooked chitlins
1. Wash the pork maw thoroughly in several changes of cold water. Drain thoroughly and place in a large pot with enough cold water to cover by 2 inches.
Add the salt, red pepper, and half of the celery, onions, and green peppers. Heat to boiling, reduce to simmering, and cook, covered, until tender. This could take anywhere from
1 1/2 to 3 hours, depending on the maw.
2. Meanwhile, wash the chitlins carefully in several changes of cold water.Drain thoroughly. Refrigerate until needed.
3. Drain the cooked maw and reserve the cooking liquid. Place the chitlins in a large pot and add enough of the maw cooking liquid to cover by 2 inches. Add the remaining celery, onions, and green peppers. Heat to boiling, reduce to simmering, and cook, covered, until tender, about 1 hour and 30 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, when the pork maw is cool enough to handle, cut it into1-inch pieces.
5. When the chitlins are tender, stir in the maw pieces and simmer togethera few minutes. Check the seasoning and serve hot.