* Use whole grain bread to make the crumbs. Substitute 1-2 tablespoons wheat germ for equal amount of crumbs if preferred.
1. Prepare apples: peel, core and slice thinly to equal 4 cups. Use Granny Smith or other tart apples.
2. Grate the rind of 1/2 of the lemon, being careful not to include any of the pith just below the peel. Juice half the lemon, or all if it is a small lemon.
3. Mix bread crumbs with melted margarine and blend.
4. Mix sugar with nutmeg, lemon peel and juice; blend.
5. Grease a casserole dish with margarine. Put a layer of crumbs on bottom, spread half the apples atop then half the sugar mixture. Put the rest of the apples, then the sugar and top with remaining crumbs. Add 1/2 cup very hot apple juice or water. Bake in preheated 350-degree oven for 40 minutes or until done. Cover loosely with foil tent for first 20 minutes to prevent crumbs browning too quickly.
Serving Ideas: Serve with a tart lemon sauce, brandy sauce, or ice cream.
Per serving: 2020 Calories; 62g Fat (27% calories from fat); 28g Protein; 354g Carbohydrate; 0mg Cholesterol; 2090mg Sodium
Please report any bad links..Thanks, Buzz
Armenian Recipes Italian Recipes Asian Recipes Mexican Recipes Greek Recipes Native American Recipes North African Cuisine Soul Food
Provencι Jewish Recipes Middle Eastern Recipes Cajun, Creole, & Caribbean Spain & Portugal Artichoke Recipes Aubergine-Eggplant Recipes
Secret Recipes Yogurt Recipes Dungeness Crab Recipes Grill & Barbecue Recipes Vicki's Desserts Buzz's Bistro
Tapas, Mezza, PuPus Appetizers Soups & Stews Salads Meats Poultry Seafood Beverages & Cocktails Casseroles and Gratins
Rice and Grains Pasta Breads Vegetables Sauces & Salsas Condiments Cooking Hygiene Food Humor Home Guestbook E-mail Art Collection