A salad fit for an Emperor.
Caesar salad can be made in a various number of ways. You can have chicken Caesar, salmon Caesar, shrimp Caesar, mixed seafood Caesar, or just a plain Caesar as described in the following recipe. As an extra bonus, I have listed a few other of my favorite Caesar salads by some Celebrity Chefs.
RECIPE PRINTED FROM: THEGUTSYGOURMET.NET©
INGREDIENTS:Salads for 2
FOR THE CROUTONS:
2 large garlic cloves
Pinch of salt
3 tablespoons virgin olive oil
2 cups French baguette slices or crusty Italian cut up into ½ - ¾ inch cubes (white bread works too)
FOR THE SALAD:
1 large egg
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 medium garlic clove, crushed
1 pinch salt
½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1½ teaspoons anchovy paste or 4 flat anchovies**SEE COOK'S NOTES 1**
1 teaspoon capers
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
⅓ cup virgin olive oil
2 heads of hearts of Romaine lettuce
⅓ cup Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, grated
PREPPING THE CROUTONS: Preheat oven to 350°F. Crush the garlic cloves with the side of a chef's
knife (be careful) or with a garlic press. Slice up the baguette and cut them into ½ - ¾ inch cubes.
PREPPING THE SALAD: Again crush the garlic. If you are using flat anchovies out of a can, mince one or
two to make 1½ teaspoons worth. Grate the Parmigiano Reggiano cheese. It's always better to grate it
yourself if you have the opportunity.
How to make the salad at home:
Combine garlic, oil, salt, and bread cubes in a bowl. Mix until cubes are coated evenly. Spread the
coated cubes onto a baking sheet and bake until the croutons are golden. This should take about 10
TO MAKE THE SALAD
1. Bring a pot of boiling water to boil, add egg and cook for just 45 seconds....NO MORE. This is
coddling. Remove from heat and let it cool off.**SEE COOK'S NOTES 2**
2. Meanwhile, mix the Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, garlic, salt & pepper, anchovy, mustard and
capers in a bowl. Crack egg and add to these ingredients. Whisk until smooth.
3. Now for the tricky part. Slowly add the oil in a steady stream while constantly whisking again until
smooth. Reason: if you add the oil too quickly, the dressing will be separate and not emulsify.
1. Tear the romaine lettuce into 1-2 inch pieces and add them to a large bowl (wooden if you have
one). Add half the dressing, toss, add remaining dressing, Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, and croutons
and toss again.
2. Serve on chilled plates.
1. Anchovies are very important to the flavor of a Caesar Salad. They do not make the salad taste
"fishy", but gives the salad a depth of flavor that is difficult to describe. If you wish not to use the
anchovies, add another ½ teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce.
2. Coddling the egg makes it much safer to use in a salad dressing than the raw egg called for in most
Caesar Salad dressings. Below you will be guided to dressings that use no egg at all if that is your
NOTE: ALTHOUGH NOT THE EXACT RECIPE SHOWN, THE VIDEO BELOW MIGHT BE OF HELP.
HOW TO MAKE A CAESAR SALAD WITH RAW EGG
OTHER CAESAR SALAD RECIPES THAT MIGHT INTEREST YOU (COMING SOON):
1. NO GUILT CAESAR BY ALTON BROWN
2. PROPER CHICKEN CAESAR SALAD BY JAIME OLIVER
3. GOOD HOUSEKEEPING CAESAR SALAD
4. CAESAR SALAD MEXICANO
5. EGGLESS CHICKEN CAESAR SALAD
Copyright 2001© - 2012© The Gutsy Gourmet® - All rights reserved