To print this page, use your browser's print button, or use the copy/paste/print method.
HALVA - Middle Eastern sesame (tahini) confection
While growing up, this was my favorite "melt in your mouth" confection. My mother didn't make it often, just on special occasions.
RECIPE PRINTED FROM: THEGUTSYGOURMET.NET©
HALVA - SESAME (TAHINI) CANDY
INGREDIENTS: SERVES 8 or more
● 2 cup Brown sugar
● ⅔ cup Sesame Tahini (Found in Arabic, Mediterranean markets or top of the line supermarkets)
● ⅔ cup Milk
● 1 Teaspoon(s) Vanilla
● 1 cup shelled pistachio nuts (optional)
1. Cook sugar and milk in a sauce pot over medium heat to just under the soft-ball stage, to 230℉.
2. Remove from fire and add tahini, vanilla and pistachios, but do not mix in immediately. Let it cool about 2 minutes.
3. Beat with paddle or wooden spoon for a few seconds and pour quickly into a buttered pan.
4. Let cool, cut into 1 inch squares and serve as pieces of candy. Keep refrigerated until serving.**SEE COOK'S NOTE**
5. Goes well with strong, black Turkish coffee.
1. Keep refrigerated when not being served, as it will turn soft. Taste and texture is best when firm and cool.
Copyright 2001© - 2012© TheGutsyGourmet® - All rights reserved