STUFFED VEGETABLES -VEGETABLE DOLMA
INGREDIENTS, FILLING: SERVES 6
• 1½ lbs. ground lamb or ground round or ¾ lb. each lamb and lean ground top round
• ½ cup rice or bulgur, or a combination
• ¼ cup green bell pepper, chopped fine
• ¼ cup armenian or Italian parsley,chopped
• 8 oz crushed tomatoes or tomato sauce
• Cayenne pepper to taste
• ¼ cup lemon juice
• 1 teaspoon basil
• 1 teaspoon black pepper or to taste
• 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
• 1 medium yellow onion,chopped
• 1 cup water or 1 can Swanson's® chicken broth or beef broth, enough to cover the vegetables.
1. A variety of vegetables can be used including red, gold, and or green bell peppers. Also used are eggplant, zucchini squash (large), tomatoes,
potatoes and onions.
2. Scoop out the vegetables leaving an opening for the filling of about 1½ - 2 inches in diameter and about 2 - 3 inches deep. Fill the scooped out
vegetables with the filling mixture and place upright in a large covered casserole. **SEE COOK'S NOTE**
3. Pour over the crushed tomatoes or tomato sauce with broth or 1 cup of water. Cover and cook in a preheated 350℉ oven for about 1 - 1½ hours.
4. Try this dish served with a dollop of Mahdzoon (YOGURT) over the filled vegetables.
1. The scooped out portions of the vegetables can be grated or processed and added to the broth to make it thicker, or can be used in another dish,
such as a vegetable soup base