To print this page, use your browser's print button, or use the copy/paste/print method.
BASIC TOMATO SAUCE FOR ITALIAN DISHES - Courtesy of Celebrity Chef, Mario Batali
A "mother sauce" on which to build other complex pasta sauces, or just use as is. It is a great sauce for almost any pasta.
This is an excellent multi-purpose sauce. If you have your own recipe or brand of sauce, by all means use it.
RECIPE PRINTED FROM: THEGUTSYGOURMET.NET©
BASIC TOMATO SAUCE FOR PASTA
INGREDIENTS:Yield: 4 cups
● ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
● 1 Spanish onion, chopped in 1/4-inch dice
● 4 garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
● 3 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme leaves, or 1 tablespoon dried
● ½ medium carrot, finely shredded
● 2 (28-ounce) cans peeled whole tomatoes, crushed by hand and juices reserved
● Salt, to taste
1. In a 3-quart saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
2. Add the onion and garlic and cook until soft and light golden brown, about 8 to 10 minutes.
3. Add the thyme and carrot and cook 5 minutes more, until the carrot is quite soft.
4. Add the tomatoes and juice and bring to a boil, stirring often.
5. Lower the heat and simmer for 30 minutes until as thick as hot cereal.
6. Season with salt and serve.
7. This sauce holds 1 week in the refrigerator or up to 6 months in the freezer. Serve over tortellini,
or your favorite pasta.
Copyright 2001© - 2012© The Gutsy Gourmet® - All rights reserved