THAI SHRIMP CURRY
INGREDIENTS: Serves 6
• ½ cup chopped onion
• 3 large shallots, chopped
• 3 tablespoons chopped lemongrass**SEE COOK'S NOTE**(from bottom 3 inches of about 5 peeled stalks)
• 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro stems
• 3 tablespoons chopped peeled fresh ginger
• 1 tablespoon turmeric
• 2 teaspoons ground cumin
• 1 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper.
• 2 cups canned unsweetened coconut milk**SEE COOK'S NOTE**
• 2 8-ounce bottles clam juice
• 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
• 2 pounds large (16-20/pound) uncooked shrimp, peeled, deveined
• 1 head bok choy (1½ pounds), white part cut crosswise into ¼” slices, dark green part cut crosswise into 1” wide slices
• 1 pound snow peas, strings removed
• 2 3.5 oz. packages enoki mushrooms, trimmed (can use oyster, or white mushrooms)
• Chiffonade of fresh basil
• Cooked jasmine rice
1. Purèe first 9 ingredients in processor until paste forms, occasionally scraping sides of bowl. Transfer curry paste to bowl.
(Can be made 4 days ahead. Cover; chill.)
2. Boil coconut milk and clam juice in heavy large saucepan until reduced to 2 cups, about 20 minutes. (Can be prepared
1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)
3. Heat oil in heavy large skillet over high heat. Add 6 tablespoons curry paste; stir 1 minute. Add shrimp and sauté until
beginning to turn pink, about 2 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer shrimp to plate. Add reduced coconut milk mixture
to same skillet; boil until mixture coats spoon thickly, stirring occasionally, about 7 minutes. Add white part of bok choy;
boil until beginning to soften, about 2 minutes. Add snow peas; stir until crisp-tender, about 1 minute. Return shrimp to
sauce. Add green part of bok choy and mushrooms; toss until heated through, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle with basil.
4. Serve over rice.
*Chopped lemon grass is available at Southeast Asian markets and in the produce section of some good supermarkets.
**Canned unsweetened coconut milk available at Indian, Southeast Asian or Latin American markets and many good supermarkets in the Asian Food aisle.