TAMARIND EGGPLANT WITH ROASTED GARLIC AND MANGO>
A Gusty Gourmet© original recipe.
Makes a great side dish for seafood or barbecue.
An eggplant dish for those who think they don't like eggplant.
Buzz Baxter's prize winning recipe at Better Homes & Gardens in December 1999
RECIPE REPRINTED FROM THE GUTSY GOURMET.NET©
TAMARIND EGGPLANT WITH ROASTED GARLIC AND MANGO©
INGREDIENTS: SERVES 6
● 6 Chinese eggplant, roasted
● 1 red bell pepper, roasted
● 1 head garlic, roasted
● 1 ripe mango, roasted ˝ inch dice
● 2 tablespoons tamarind paste
● 1 teaspoon fresh ginger juice
● ˝ cup orange juice
● 1 yellow onion, diced
● 2 Jalapeńo peppers diced
● 1 tablespoon sugar
● ˝ teaspoon cayenne pepper(optional)
● Kosher salt to taste
● 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper ˝ cup chopped cilantro
● 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
● ˝ cup extra virgin olive oil
1. Roast the eggplant, cool, peel and cut into 1 inch chunks. Roast bell pepper, cool and julienne. Roast garlic, cool and
squeeze out garlic. Mash cloves well with a spoon.
2. In a sautč pan, sautč the onions and jalapeńo peppers until the onions just start to turn golden. Add the tamarind paste**SEE COOK'S NOTE**, mashed garlic, olive oil,
ginger juice, sugar, orange peel, cayenne, salt, pepper, orange juice. Bring to a boil and them simmer until the liquid becomes a thick syrup.
3. Add the eggplant, roasted peppers, mango and cilantro. Simmer until hot all the way through. Serve as a side dish for seafood or barbecue.
Visit Gutsy’s Soupermarket below for hard to find itmes.
Copyright 2001© - 2012© TheGutsyGourmet® - All rights reserved