SUSHI AT HOME
INGREDIENTS: SUSHI RICE SERVES 4 − 6
● 4 cups sushi rice (Calrose/short grain/California pearl rice)
● Water for rice: Place hand flat on rice in pan and cover hand with water up to and covering the knuckles
● 1 cup rice wine vinegar
● ¼ cup Japanese Rice wine, mirin
● ½ cup sugar
1. Wash rice at least 3 times or until water is clear. Fill rice cooker with water to about 1-inch over rice. I highly recommend a rice cooker (there’s a
reason more than 2 billion people in Asia use them). Slowly heat vinegar, mirin and sugar until very hot but not boiling. Fold in 'su' (vinegar and
sugar) with the hot rice, add enough so that the rice has a tart/sweet taste. Rice should be shiny, not mushy. Carefully clean inside rim of the
bowl with damp cloth, cover and let rest for 30 minutes.
● ¼ cup gari (pickled ginger) julienne
● ¼ cup toasted sesame seeds
● ¼ cup chopped green scallions
● Soy syrup (See recipe below)
● Wasabi oil (See recipe below)
HERB CRAB SALAD MAKI-SUSHI
● ½ tablespoon honey
● ½ tablespoon Dijon mustard
● ½ lemon, juiced
● ½ tablespoon vegetable oil
● ½ pound fresh picked crab
● ¼ cup chopped cilantro
● ¼ cup chopped flat leaf parsley
● ¼ cup basil chiffonade
● 1 shallot, minced
● Salt and white pepper to taste
● 4 sheets of yaki-nori
1. In a bowl, whisk together honey, mustard, lemon juice and oil. Add crab, herbs and minced shallot. Season with salt and pepper and check flavor.
2. Lay nori, shiny side down on sushi mat and lightly pat on rice on bottom half of nori, 1/4 inch thick. Place crab filling 2/3 up on rice. Roll, moisten
end to seal and let rest.
INGREDIENTS: TEMPURA SHRIMP HAND ROLLS
● 2 cups rice flour
● ½ tablespoon chili powder
● 1 quart cold club soda
● 8 large butterfly shrimp, peeled and de-veined
● 1 package daikon sprouts
● 4 sheets of yaki-nori, cut in half
● 8 scallion fans
● Wasabi oil
● Salt and white pepper to taste
1. In a bowl, mix flour with chili powder, and whisk in club soda until a pancake batter thickness is achieved. Dip the shrimp and scallions in the
tempura batter and fry until golden brown, about 4 minutes. Drain on paper towels and season with salt and pepper. Lay the nori vertically with
the shiny side down. Using wet hands, lightly place a 1/4-inch thick layer of rice on the bottom half of the nori. Place one shrimp and scallion
fan diagonally across the rice from the top left corner to the bottom right. Lay daikon sprouts on top and add a touch of wasabi oil. Roll a cone
by bringing the bottom left corner of the nori to half way up the right side edge then roll over. Moisten the top edge to glue. Repeat process.
INGREDIENTS: WASABI OIL
● ½ cup wasabi powder
● 1 tablespoon mirin
● 1 teaspoon sugar
● ½ cup vegetable oil
DIRECTIONS: WASABI OIL
1. In a stainless steel bowl, whisk together wasabi, mirin and sugar. Add water until a loose puree is achieved. Whisk in oil. For extra heat, use less oil.
INGREDIENTS: SOY SYRUP
● 2 cups thin soy sauce
● ½ cup brown sugar
● 1 lime juiced
DIRECTIONS: SSOY SYRUP
1. Combine all the ingredients and reduce at a simmer until a syrup consistency is achieved, about a 60 to 70 percent reduction. Let cool.
1. On a huge white platter, drizzle soy syrup, wasabi oil, sesame seeds, gari and scallions all over. Slice maki-sushi using both bias and straight cuts.
Place hand rolls leaning against sushi.