STUFFED AND ROLLED CABBAGE DOLMA
INGREDIENTS FILLING: SERVES 6
• 1½ lbs. ground lamb or ¾ lb each lamb and lean ground top round
• ½ cup rice or bulghour, or a combination
• ¼ cup green bell pepper, chopped fine
• Cayenne pepper to taste
• 1 teaspoon basil
• 1 teaspoon black pepper or to taste
• 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
• 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
1. Combine the above ingredients and gently knead into a dough. A little water may be added to ease the blending.
INGREDIENTS, WRAPPING ROLLS: **See Illustration below**
• 1 large head of cabbage
• 1 cup water or 1 can Swanson's® chicken broth or beef broth
• 8 oz crushed tomatoes or tomato sauce
• juice of 2 lemons
DIRECTIONS, WRAPPING ROLLS:
1. Core 1 or 2 large heads of cabbage and immerse in boiling water until the leaves wilt and become soft.
2. Separate the leaves and cut out the hard veins. The very large leaves may be cut in half.
3. Take a large teaspoon of the filling and place on the cabbage leaf and roll up turning in the ends.
4. Take a few of the large tougher leaves and line the bottom of a covered casserole. Place the rolled cabbage side by side and layer upon
5. Pour over the crushed tomatoes or tomato sauce, lemon juice and broth or 1 cup of water.
6. Cover and cook in a preheated 350℉ oven for about 1 hour.
7. Try serving with a dollop of cold Greek Style yogurt (mahdzoon) on top.**SEE COOK'S NOTE**
1. MAKE YOUR OWN YOGURT FROM SCRATCH