To print this page, use your browser's print button, or use the copy/paste/print method.
SOUTHERN FRIED OKRA - SOUL FOOD FROM THE AMERICAN SOUTH
A delicious snack or side dish.
You may think you don't like okra, but your are going to love this.
RECIPE PRINTED FROM: THEGUTSYGOURMET.NET©
SOUTHERN FRIED OKRA
INGREDIENTS: SERVES 4
● 1 lb fresh okra, cut into ¾ −1 inch pieces (Remove okra stem about ¼ inch from the body of the okra )
● 2 cups cornmeal
● 1 egg
● 2 cups buttermilk
● salt and pepper
● Vegetable oil for frying (I like about 1/3 of the oil to be olive oil)
1. In a large bowl beat egg with a fork, pour in buttermilk and mix well. Place the cornmeal in another bowl.
2. Pour enough oil in a large deep skillet, or a deep fryer. Set heat to 350℉.
3. Dip okra pieces in the buttermilk mixture and then dip to coat in the cornmeal. Do not over coat with cornmeal,
so a little green shows.
4. Fry for 10 - 15 minutes, occasionally turning them over to cook evenly and are crispy and golden brown.
5. Drain on paper towel lined plate. Sprinkle with salt and pepper (i don't use pepper but some people prefer it).
6. Repeat with rest of okra until all are fried to a golden brown.
7. Drain on paper towels and serve.
Copyright 2001© - 2012© TheGutsyGourmet® - All rights reserved