ARMENIAN MEAT AND RICE FILLED ROLLED GRAPE LEAVES
POPULAR Middle Eastern Casserole ..
RECIPE PRINTED FROM: THEGUTSYGOURMET.NETฉ
✹INGREDIENTS: Makes 70
1 1/2 lbs. ground lamb or 3/4 lb each lamb and lean ground top round
1/2 cup rice or bulgur, or a combination
1/4 cup green bell pepper, chopped fine
1/4 cup Armenian or Italian parsley, chopped
Cayenne pepper to taste
1 teaspoon basil
1 teaspoon black pepper or to taste
1 teaspoon salt or to taste
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
Combine the above ingredients and knead into a dough. A little water may be added to ease the blending.
WRAPPING IN THE GRAPE LEAVES
1 cup water or 1 can Swanson'sฎ chicken broth o beef broth
8 oz crushed tomatoes or tomato sauce
1/4 cup lemon juice
1. Take a large teaspoon full of the filling and place on the grape leaf and roll up turning in the ends.
2. Take a few of the large tougher leaves and line the bottom of a covered casserole.
3. Place the rolled grape leaves side by side and layer upon layer.
4. Pour over the crushed tomatoes or tomato sauce, lemon juice and broth or 1 cup of water.
5. Cover and cook in a preheated 350 degree oven for about 1 hour.
1. Try this dish with a large dollop of plain yogurt on top.
NOTE: ALTHOUGH NOT THE EXACT RECIPE PRESENTED, THE VIDEO BELOW MIGHT BE OF HELP TO YOU.
U-TUBE VIDEO - HOW TO MAKE YAPRAK SARMA
Copyright 2001ฉ - 2014ฉ The Gutsy Gourmetฎ - All rights reserved