SMOKED SALMON MAKI SUSHI ROLL
INGREDIENTS: SERVES 8
● 4 cups sushi rice (Calrose/short grain)
● 1 cup rice wine vinegar
● ¼ cup mirin
● ½ cup sugar
● 8 sheets of nori
● 1 cup smoked salmon strips
● 1 cup of diced water chestnuts
● 1 cup diakon sprouts
● ¼ cup gari (pickled ginger) julienned
● Wasabi oil
● Soy syrup
1. Wash rice at least 3 times or until water is clear. Fill rice cooker or casserole with water to about 1-inch over rice. I highly recommend a rice
cooker (more than 2 billion people use them) in Asia for a reason. Slowly heat vinegar, mirin and sugar until very hot but not boiling. Fold in
with the hot rice, add enough so that the rice has a tart/sweet taste. Rice should be shiny, not mushy. Carefully put rice in a clean bowl, cover
with a damp cloth and let rest for 30 minutes.
2. Lay down nori on sushi mat and lightly pat on rice on bottom ⅔rds of the nor. Place smoked salmon, water chestnuts, daikon, gari and a
touch of wasabi oil. Roll, moisten end and let rest.
COOKS NOTE* : there will be left over rice for other recipes.