To print this page, use your browser's print button, or use the copy/paste/print method.
ROSEMARY, ONION, & SUN-DRIED TOMATO FOCCACIA
A fairly easy Italian flatbread that will perk up any pasta dinner or a warming Italian soup.
Once you start making foccacia, you will discover dozens of ways to tweak this recipe to your own tastes.
RECIPE PRINTED FROM: THEGUTSYGOURMET.NET©
INGREDIENTS:Makes 1 16 inch diameter foccacia
● 2 Tablespoon(s)dry yeast
● 3½ Cup(s)flour
● 1 Teaspoon(s) salt
● 2 Tablespoon(s) Honey
● 2 Tablespoon(s) olive oil
● ¼ cup fresh rosemary leaves, lightly diced
● ½ cup chopped sun dried tomatoes in oil
● 1 to 1½ cups water (105℉ to 110℉)
INGREDIENTS FOR TOPPING THE FOCCACIA AND BAKING:
● ½ cup extra virgin olive oil, plus oil to grease pan and brush on top of dough
● ½ cup diced yellow or Spanish onion
● Shredded Parmesano Reggiano Cheese (Optional)
1. Place yeast, 1 cup of the flour salt, honey, water into a bowl and let the yeast begin to bubble and
2. In a food processor, add the flour, 2 tablespoons olive oil, rosemary leaves, and chopped sun-
dried tomatoes. Add one cup of the yeast mixture and process. Process until the dough forms a
ball in the processor. (Add remaining water only until the ball becomes firm and not dry looking,
but not wet either. (Takes less than 2 minutes processing time)
3. Place the ball of dough in a large oiled bowl, cover with a towel and keep in a 72℉ place until
the dough has doubled in size. (About 45 minutes to an hour.)
✚ Place oven rack on lowest position and place a pizza stone (if you are using one, I find the
crust is much better on a stone) on the rack.**SEE COOK'S NOTE**
Preheat the oven to 450℉
4. Punch down the risen dough and place on a floured surface and spread the dough out into a round
of 14 to 16 inches in diameter. Spread with your fingers until the size of your stone or pan is
achieved. If using a sheet pan or other square pan, shape accordingly.
5. At this point, take your finger tips and make depressions in the top of the dough. Brush olive oil
generously over the top of the foccacia, add the chopped onions and then again with the finger tips,
go through the depression process again. The surface should be rough and pock marked. Sprinkle
with the Parmesano Reggiano is so desired and bake until deep golden brown. (About 10-12
1. Pizza stones are the path to taking a step up in your Italian baking. The difference in the crust of
foccacia, pizza and other Italian breads is well worth the investment of a stone and a "Peel". The Peel
of course is the utensil that allows you to manage handling your foccacia while placing in the oven and
removing from the oven when cooked.
Copyright 2001© - 2012© TheGutsyGourmet® - All rights reserved