To print this page, use your browser's print button, or use the copy/paste/print method.
THE REUBEN SANDWICH FILLED CORNED BEEF, SWISS CHEESE, SASUERKRAUT AND RUSSIAN DRESSING.
Inspired by the sandwich of the same name made famous by Zingerman's Deli.
Paper thin slice after paper thin slice of corned beef, slices of Swiss Cheese, fresh Sauerkraut for an acidic bite and all nestled between two slices of Jewish unseeded rye bread, What's to want for lunch or for that matters, anytime you are craving a real man sized sandwich.
RECIPE PRINTED FROM: THEGUTSYGOURMET.NET©
INGREDIENTS: Serves 1
1 loaf unseeded and unsliced Jewish Rye bread
2 pounds corned beef, sliced (see Cook's Note)
12 ounces Russian dressing, recipe follows
12 ounces sauerkraut
12 slices Swiss cheese
4 tablespoons butter, melted
1. Preheat oven to 350º degrees F.
2. Sprinkle the corned beef with a little water, wrap it tightly in aluminum foil and steam it in the oven.
3. Meanwhile, put the whole loaf of rye bread (unwrapped) into the oven. Bake the bread until the crust
is very crunchy, about 15 minutes. Set the bread on the counter and let it cool for about 5 minutes.
When the rye bread is cool enough to handle place it on a cutting board. Hold the bread knife at a
45 degree angle and cut 12 slices.
4. Take the corned beef out of the oven and unwrap it. Spread each slice of bread with Russian
dressing. Layer half of the slices with corned beef, sauerkraut and slices of Swiss cheese, then top
the sandwiches with the remaining slices of bread (dressing-side down).
5. Heat 2 large heavy skillets over medium heat. Brush the bread with butter. Put the sandwiches in the
pans and weight them with a lid or heat proof bowl topped with something heavy. Cook until the
first sides are crisp and golden about 7 minutes then flip the sandwiches. Cook until the second
sides are also well toasted and the cheese is melted. Lift the sandwiches onto a cutting board. Cut
each in half diagonally and serve.
3/4 cups mayonnaise
1/4 cup plus 2 to 3 tablespoons chili sauce
2 tablespoons sour cream
2 teaspoons chopped curly parsley leaves
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon minced Spanish onion
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon minced dill pickle
1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon grated horseradish
1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1. Combine the mayonnaise, chili sauce, sour cream, parsley, onion, pickle, lemon juice, horseradish
and Worcestershire sauce in a bowl and mix well.
Yield: 2 cups
Buy high quality corned beef for this recipe. Avoid corned beef that is very lean.
Copyright 2001© - 2011© The Gutsy Gourmet® - All rights reserved