To print this page, use your browser's print button, or use the copy/paste/print method.
German version of the latke. Served often with meat dishes.
RECIPE PRINTED FROM: THEGUTSYGOURMET.NET©
GERMAN POTATO PANCAKES
A German side dish that goes well with meat dishes, especially sauerbraten!
INGREDIENTS: MAKES 4 PANCAKES Serves 2 − 4
● 1 large, Idaho potato, about (8 ounces)
● ½ medium onion, (about 4 ounces)
● 1 egg
● 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
● 1 tablespoon flour
● 1 tablespoon dry bread crumbs
● ¼ teaspoon dry thyme
● Juice of 1 lemon
● Salt and pepper
● Oil for pan frying
● ⅓ cup applesauce, for garnish
1. Using a food processor or a box grater, grate the potato and onion on the large hole into a bowl. Using your hands, squeeze out the excess liquid and place the dry potato onion mixture in a bowl.
2. Add the egg, parsley, flour, bread crumbs, thyme, lemon juice and seasonings. Mix well.
3. Heat ½ cup of oil in a heavy skillet.
4. Add ½ cup mounds of potato mixture to the hot oil, and flatten down to a ¾ inch thick pancake.
5. Turn heat to medium. Cook for 5 minutes on each side, or until crispy and golden.
6. Serve with the applesauce.
Copyright 2001© - 2012© TheGutsyGourmet® - All rights reserved