To print this page, use your browser's print button, or use the copy/paste/print method.
PIONONO WITH MANJAR BLANCO - ARGENTINIAN "JELLY ROLL".
An Argentine/Peruvian dessert filled with milk pudding and berries.
From the plains of Argentina to the towering mountains of Peru comes a delightfully refreshing and rich dessert.**SEE COOK'S NOTES**
RECIPE PRINTED FROM: THEGUTSYGOURMET.NET©
INGREDIENTS: SERVES 6
● 5 eggs
● ⅔ cup sugar
● ½ cup sifted cake flour
● ¼ teaspoon coarse salt
● 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
● 1 teaspoon vanilla
● Powdered sugar to coat waxed paper
● Manjar Blanco (see recipe below)
● Strawberry sauce (optional) (see recipe below)
1. Line a jellyroll pan with parchment paper and set aside. Preheat an oven to 350° F.
2. Whisk together eggs and sugar and place in the top of a double boiler set over medium high heat.
Beat until mixture is hot (about 140°F). Remove from the heat and continue beating until mixture
holds a limp peak.
3. Sift together flour and salt and fold into egg mixture. Fold in butter a tablespoon at a time. Gently
stir in vanilla.
4. Pour batter into prepared pan, spreading out as necessary to create an even surface. Bake
for 13-15 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, prepare a rectangle of waxed or parchment paper that is the same size as the pan,
and cover the paper with powdered sugar.
6. Remove pan from oven and immediately invert cake onto prepared paper. Remove parchment
paper and trim cake to smooth sides. Let cake cool completely, then spread with Manjar Blanco.
Roll cake and sprinkle the outside with powdered sugar.
7. To serve, slice cake to form spirals. Serve with Strawberry sauce if desired.
MANJAR BLANCO (Milk Pudding) RECIPE
● 2 cans sweetened condensed milk
● 1 vanilla bean
1. Combine the milk and vanilla bean in a heavy, enameled saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat
to very low and simmer for 1½ to 2 hours, stirring and scraping the bottom of the pan to prevent sticking.
The milk should thicken to the consistency of hot fudge. Remove from the heat, remove vanilla bean
and beat the mixture with a spoon for a few seconds. Let cool.
Strawberry Sauce Recipe
INGREDIENTS:Yield: 4 to 6 servings
• 1 package (16 ounces) frozen strawberries, thawed (the kind with juice)
• 2 teaspoons cornstarch
1. In a medium saucepan, combine juice from strawberries and cornstarch. Cook over, medium heat, stirring
constantly, until mixture thickens. Cook 2 minutes longer. Add strawberries and heat to serving temperature.
Do not overcook the strawberries.
2. Serve as a dessert sauce for Pionono, pound cake, bread pudding, pancakes, angel food cake or ice cream.
NOTE: ALTHOUGH NOT THE EXACT RECIPE PRESENTED, THE VIDEO BELOW MIGHT BE OF SOME HELP TO YOU.
UTUBE - HOW ARGENTINIAN PIONONO
Copyright 2001© - 2012© The Gutsy Gourmet® - All rights reserved