PILAKI SALAD - ARMENIAN BEAN SALAD
INGREDIENTS: Serves 4 − 6
• 2 cups Great Northern beans, or Cannellinni beans
• 4 cups water
• ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
• 1 clove garlic, crushed
• 2 medium tomatoes, diced
• ½ cup celery, diced
• ½ cup carrots, diced or a fine julienne
• Salt and pepper to taste
• Cayenne to taste
1. Wash the beans well and remove any stones. Add water and cook the beans on high for ½ hour. Remove from heat and drain. Add boiling water to beans and
simmer for another ½ hour.
2. Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer until the beans are cooked but still firm.
3. Remove from heat and add:
• 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint leaves
• 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sweet basil
1. Cool and then chill. Garnish with a mixture of the ingredients below.
• ¼ cup chopped Armenian or Italian parsley
• 1 cup ripe, pitted Kalamata or other black olive