To print this page, use your browser's print button, or use the copy/paste/print method.
ITALIAN PASSATELLI - CHICKEN & DUMPLING SOUP
A simple soup with a unique dumpling
Served as a first course, but can double as delicious and filling evening supper.
RECIPE PRINTED FROM: THEGUTSYGOURMET.NET©
ITALIAN PASSATELLI SOUP
INGREDIENTS: Serves 4 - 8
• 1 ½ cups plain, dry bread crumbs
• 1 ½ cups finely grated Parmesan cheese
• ⅛ teaspoon pepper
• 2 pinches freshly ground nutmeg
• ½ teaspoon salt, plus more for seasoning the broth
• 5 large eggs
• 8 cups good chicken broth (not canned)**SEE COOKS NOTE**
1. In a bowl, whisk together the bread crumbs, cheese, pepper, nutmeg and ½ teaspoon salt. In another bowl, whisk the eggs,
then stir them into the crumb mixture until just combined. Set aside.
2. In a deep, wide soup pot, bring the broth just to a simmer and season with salt. Pass the dough through a potato ricer or
passatelli maker into the broth and cook 1 minute. Ladle into bowls.
A. Add a ½ cup of Jewish "Schmaltz" if you have it or want to make it. It will give your chicken broth a deep flavor that will elevate
the chicken soup to a new level. It is what the Jews use in their "Matzo Ball" soup, which makes it so famous,
PREPARE THE DUMPLINGS
3. Put the breadcrumbs into a bowl with the butter and cheese, mix with care and add two whole eggs blending them in well.
4. Salt and grate a little nutmeg into the mixture and knead to obtain a fairly firm consistency, if necessary increasing the
amount of breadcrumbs.
5. With the aid of a potato ricer, in the absence of the special “iron” with a disk featuring larger holes, pass through all of the
mixture to obtain strips the length of a finger.
6. Leave to rest for about 10 minutes (rests best in the refrigerator) and then cook in boiling chicken broth.
7. (Final Garnish) Serve with a generous helping of grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese. This cheese is a major ingredient of this dish, so use
the best here for the garnish. Any cheap Parmesan cheese is going to taste, let's say it, CHEAP!.
Copyright 2001© - 2013© TheGutsyGourmet® - All rights reserved