CARAMELIZED ONIONS, BACON & GRUYÈRE CHEESE IN A PHYLLO WRAP
INGREDIENTS: Makes 16 triangles
● 3 large Spanish onions, quartered and sliced
● 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded, veined and chopped fine
● 2 tablespoons bacon fat or olive oil
● 5 strips of bacon, cooked crisp and chopped fine
● 2 cups grated gruyere cheese
● 1 teapoon fresh ground black pepper
● pinch of Kosher salt or to taste
● 1 pkg. of phyllo or fillo dough, found in the frozen pastry case of the supermarket
● ½ cup Clarified butter, Ghee.DIRECTIONS:
1. In a large skillet, add the bacon fat or oil and saute the onion and jalapèno until the onion is golden brown and carmelized.
2. Let the onion mixture cool in the pan and add the cheese, salt and pepper. Mix these ingredients well and set aside.
3. Take the Phyllo dough and cut into 3 x 5 inch sections.
4. Place the Phyllo dough on a flat surface, and one sheet at a time brush butter the top surface and they lay another sheet on top
and butter it. 3 or four sheets will suffice.
5. On one end of the phyllo strips, place a tablespoon (heaping) and either roll up turning the ends in, or fold over several times
to make a triangular package. Set these aside on a foil lined baking sheet.
6. When all are made, brush the tops of the wraps with butter and bake in a 375℉ oven for 20 minutes or until the tops are a golden
7. Serve hot or cold and watch them disappear.