MUSCATO CHICKEN WITH MUSHROOMS, SHALLOTS, GOLDEN RAISINS AND MUSCAT WINE SAUCE
Muscat grapes are now almost a forgotten varietal. This musky sweet grape
became the favorite wine grape for the bums and alchololics. It got a bad rap
and lost favor with vintners and wine connisieurs. Growing up as a child of
a grape growing family, I found the grape and the raisin from that grape
to have a flavor so unique, that I crave it's sweetness even today. It is making
a comeback and competes favorably with the Ports, Marsalas and Madieras.
Muscat wines, are a dessert wine and come from a semi-dry to very sweet.
RECIPE PRINTED FROM: THEGUTSYGOURMET.NET©
INGREDIENTS: Serves 6
• 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
• Coarse sea salt and ground pepper
• 6 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 1 cup mushrooms, trimmed and thinly sliced
• 2 shallots, minced
• 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh sage
• 1/2 cup Muscato or other Muscat wine
• ½ cup golden raisins
• 1 tablespoon orange zest
• 1/2 cup heavy cream
• 2 tablespoons butter
1. Place flour in a shallow bowl; season generously with salt and pepper. Dredge each piece of chicken in flour, shaking off excess.
2. Place raisins in a bowl with the wine and soak. Can be done overnight.
In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken, and cook until golden on the outside and opaque throughout, 8
to 10 minutes per side.
4. Transfer to a Pyrex® dish, and cover with aluminum foil to keep warm.
5. (Reserve skillet and contents).
Add mushrooms, shallots, golden raisins and wine, orange zest, sage, and 1/4 cup water to
skillet; season with salt and pepper. Cook, tossing frequently, until mushrooms are tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Add cream; gently
simmer over medium-high until slightly thickened, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat, and stir in butter; season with salt and
Top chicken with mushroom sauce, and garnish with sage and a few dry golden raisins. Serve on a bed of rice or noodles,
or just as they are without a starchy side.
Copyright 2001© - 2011© The Gutsy Gourmet® - All rights reserved