To print this page, use your browser's print button, or use the copy/paste/print method.
MA'MOUL MIDDLE EASTERN EASTER COOKIES - FILLED WITH DATES AND NUTS AND PERFUMED WITH ORANGE FLOWER WATER AND ROSE WATER
A wonderful melange of poultry, meats, vegetable and rice. A Spanish tradition and a national dish.
These traditional rich Easter cookies are molded in the bowls of
decoratively carved wooden spoons before baking. The molded cookie
dough is arranged on large baking sheets and carried to the commercial
bakery. Good ma'amoul can be bought at the larger pastry shops at Eastertime.
RECIPE PRINTED FROM: THEGUTSYGOURMET.NET©
MA'MOUL - MIDDLE EASTERN EASTER FILLED COOKIES
INGREDIENTS: SERVES 6
● 2 cups smeed (semolina)
● 1 cup boiling water
● 1½ cups samneh (or other shortening)
● 1 Teaspoon(s) ma'ez zahr (orange blossom essence)
● 1 Teaspoon(s) rose water
● ¾ cup fine sugar
● 1¼ cup crushed walnuts or other favorite nuts or a mix of nuts.
● 1 cup crushed Mejool date paste. (Dates processed into a paste)
1. Make dough of smeed, samneh and boiling water.
2. Knead well together.
3. Cover tightly and leave overnight. On the second day knead**SEE COOK'S NOTE** again thoroughly and form into
small balls. Hollow out their centers. Fill the hollow with mixture of Mejool dates, nuts and flavorings. Press the
dough back over the filling.
4. Press each cookie onto a buttered baking pan and flatten and decorate with the tines of a fork. Or, shape the
dough in the carved molds made in Lebanon especially for this purpose.
5. Bake in moderate 300℉ oven until lightly browned. Dust liberally with powdered sugar while hot.
1. This is the time you can divide the dough and add just a drop of food coloring to some of the
dough and make a very pale pastel color to your cookies. Be subtle, don't make them flashy,
they are for Easter after all!
NOTE: ALTHOUGH NOT THE EXACT RECIPE SHOWN HERE, THE VIDEOS BELOW SHOULD BE OF HELP.
VIDEO 1. HOW TO MAKE MA’MOUL
VIDEO 2. HOW TO MAKE MA’MOUL
Copyright 2001© - 2012© TheGutsyGourmet® - All rights reserved