ARMENIAN LAMB STEW
A popular dish throughout the Middle and Near East
INGREDIENTS: Serves 4
● 2 lbs. lean lamb breast or shoulder, cubed with all fat and gristle removed.
● 1 15 oz. can crushed or stewed tomatoes
● 1 large yellow onion, chopped
● Potatoes, carrots and celery, cut into bite sized portions
● 1 cup red wine
● 1 teaspoon garlic, crushed or minced
● ¼ cup green bell pepper, chopped
● ½ teaspoon fresh basil, chopped
● ½ teaspoon fresh mint, chopped
● ¼ cup Armenian or Italian flat leafed parsley, chopped
● Kosher salt and pepper to taste
● 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin olive oil
1. Brown off lamb in olive oil and add onions, bell pepper and garlic and sautè until onions are translucent.
2. Add all other ingredients EXCEPT potatoes, carrots and celery and simmer for 1 hour.
3. Add the vegetables and simmer another ½ hour.**SEE COOK'S NOTE**
✸ For a thicker soup add a little flour, cornstarch, or instant mashed potato flakes.