To print this page, use your browser's print button, or use the copy/paste/print method.
MOZZARELLA, ROASTED RED PEPPER AND SAUSAGE CALZONE - ALL THE GOODNESS OF A PIZZA WRAPPED IN A PIZZA DOUGH POCKET AND BAKED
This delicious Italian treat is very much like a pizza in taste, but enclosed in a pocket sandwich that is chuck full of cheese, sauce, meat and veggies.
RECIPE PRINTED FROM: THEGUTSYGOURMET.NET©
INGREDIENTS: Serves 2
• 1 ball of basic pizza dough (enough dough for 1 pizza)
• 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
• Salt and white pepper
• ½ cup thick sun dried tomato pesto sauce
• ½ cup roasted garlic
• 1 cup diced Italian sausage, cooked
• ½ cup sliced yellow or white onion (Sautèd or roasted)
• 1 red bell pepper, roasted, peeled, seeded and julienned
• 2 tablespoons chiffonade of basil
• 1 teaspoon dried oregano
• 4 (¼-½ inch) slices of Mozzarella cheese (Fresh if you have it)
• 1 egg, beaten
• 1 cup spicy tomato sauce or Ro-tel sauce (hot )
• 2 tablespoons grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese(garnish)
• 1 tablespoon chopped green onions or scallions(garnish)
• 1 Roasted red bell
pepper, sliced (garnish)
1. Preheat the oven to 500ºF. Place the dough out onto a floured surface. Roll the dough
out to form a 12-inch circle.
2. Spread the pesto over one half of the dough. Layer the garlic, sausage, peppers, onions and basil,
alternately over the pesto. Lay the Mozzarella cheese over the basil. Fold the other side of
the dough over the filling and pinch the edges to seal the calzone
3. Make two slashes**SEE COOK'S NOTES across the top of the calzone. Place the calzone on a
parchment paper lined baking sheet. Brush the calzone with the egg wash.
4. Scramble the egg with a tablespoon of water and brush the tops or the calzone with the egg
to make the tops golden brown with a shiny glaze.
5. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden. Spoon the sauce in the center of the plate. Slice
the calzone in half and place in the center of the sauce. Garnish with the grated cheese, scallions
and sliced roasted peppers.
Be sure to make two or three slashes across the tops of the calzones so they will not explode in the
NOTE: ALTHOUGH NOT THE EXACT RECIPE SHOWN, THE VIDEO BELOW MIGHT BE OF HELP.
HOW TO MAKE A CALZONE
Copyright 2001© - 2011© The Gutsy Gourmet® - All rights reserved