To print this page, use your browser's print button, or use the copy/paste/print method.
IRISH CHEESY BAKED POTATO SOUP
A hearty soup with bacon, cheese and baked potates with a just a healthy smidgen of Guinness Draught and cream.
Nothing better than a brisk March day with a hearty potato, cheese and bacon soup and a fresh loaf of Irish soda bread.
RECIPE PRINTED FROM: THEGUTSYGOURMET.NET©
INGREDIENTS: SERVES 4
■ 1 lb applewood smoked bacon
■ 2 medium Spanish yellow onions, chopped
■ 4 baked Idaho or Oregon russet potatoes, chopped, skin removed
■ 6 - 8 cloves Roasted, Garlic
■ 12 oz bottle of Guinness Draught beer
■ 4 cups good chicken stock**SEE COOK'S NOTES - 1**
■ Kosher salt to taste
■ Fresh ground black pepper to taste
■ ½ cup heavy cream
■ 4 oz medium cheddar cheese, shredded
■ 4 oz pepper/jack cheese
■ ¼ scallions, green parts only, for garnish
■ 2-4 oz grated cheddar for garnish
1. Cut bacon into 1 inch pieces and cook in a skillet until just crisp, and set aside.
2. Pour off bacon drippings except for 2 tablespoons.
3. Sautè onions until translucent.
4. Add the chopped baked potatoes.
5. Add the roasted garlic cloves.
6. Add the Guinness draught
7. Add the chicken stock
8. Add the salt, pepper to taste, allowing that the cheese will add salt.
9. Add the cheese and heavy cream.
10. Garnish the top with extra cheddar and chopped scallion greens
11. Serve with Irish Soda Bread or Beer Belly Bread
1. Adjust the amount of chicken stock to suit the thickness of the soup. I like my soup thick so I add less stock.
Copyright 2001© - 2012© The Gutsy Gourmet® - All rights reserved