MEXICAN HUEVOS RANCHEROS
A favorite of Mexico and the American West.
This marvelous egg dish can be for breakfast,
brunch, and lunch...or why not supper.
Two eggs your style, resting on a corn tortilla with a tomato-pepper sauce, refried beans and Mexican cheese.
RECIPE PRINTED FROM: THEGUTSYGOURMET.NET©
INGREDIENTS: Serves 4
• 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
• 1 cup chopped white onions
• 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
• 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
• 1 teaspoon ground cumin
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
• 1 tablespoon minced jalapeno
• 1 teaspoon minced garlic
• 1 cup chopped tomatoes and their juice
• 1 cup chicken stock
• 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
• 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
• 4 large corn tortillas
• 1/2 cup warm refried beans
• 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
• 8 large eggs
• 1 1/2 cups Pepper Jack or your favorite meltable Mexican cheese
To make the Ranchero Sauce:
1. In a medium pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions and bell peppers, and cook,
stirring, for 3 to 5 minutes. Add the cumin, salt, cayenne, jalapeno, and garlic, and cook, stirring, for
30 seconds. Add the tomatoes and their juices and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the stock and
simmer until thickened, about 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and add the cilantro. Adjust the
seasoning, to taste, and cover to keep warm.
2. In a large skillet, heat 1/2 teaspoon of vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Add 1 tortilla and cook
until warmed through and just starting to brown about 30 seconds. Turn and cook on the second side.
Remove, cover to keep warm, and repeat with the remaining oil and tortillas.
3. In 2 medium skillets, melt 1 tablespoon of butter each, over medium-high heat. Break 4 eggs into
each skillet and fry until beginning to set, about 1 minute. Sprinkle the eggs with the cheese and cover
to finish cooking, about 1 1/2 minutes.
4. Place 1 warm tortilla on each of 4 plates and spread each with 2 tablespoons of warm refried beans.
Place 2 eggs on top of each tortilla and top with the warm Ranchero Sauce. Serve immediately.
COOKS NOTE* Garnish with some sliced pickled jalapeño pepper rounds, Chopped cilantro and bottle
of Yucatan Sunshine Habanero Sauce to kick-start your day.
Copyright 2001© - 2011© The Gutsy Gourmet® - All rights reserved