NATIVE AMERICAN MIXED FRESH HERB JELLY
INGREDIENTS:Yield 32 oz.
● 1 cup white grape juice or apple juice
● 1 cup water
● ¾ cup Freshly squeezed lemon juice
● 1 pkg Powdered pectin (1 3/4 oz)
● 4 cups Sugar
● ¼ cup Fresh chives, finely chopped
● ¼ cup Fresh thyme leaves, finely chopped
● ¼ cup Fresh oregano leaves, finely chopped
● ¼ cup Fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
● ¼ cup Fresh tarragon leaves, finely chopped
● 2 drops green food coloring if you want it green
1. In a large saucepan, stir together the water, lemon juice and powdered pectin. Scrape the sides of the pan to make sure all
the pectin has dissolved.
2. Place the saucepan over high heat and bring to a boil. Stir constantly to prevent scorching. Add the sugar and herbs while
stirring. Bring the mixture to a full, rolling boil 4 minutes, then remove from the heat. Skim the foam off the top of the
mixture and pour into clean, sterilized jars.**SEE COOK'S NOTE**
✸ Strain the mixture if you want it clear with no specks of herbs.
3. Seal with paraffin, if desired, and allow to set overnight.**SEE COOK'S NOTE**
✸ If the herb jelly does not set overnight, remove the paraffin and reheat the mixture over high heat. Bring to a hard rolling
boil 2 minutes, re-pour into the jars, and reseal. Because you are working with herbs and not fruit, sometimes the pectin
doesn't react the first time and needs to be reboiled.