To print this page, use your browser's print button, or use the copy/paste/print method.
GREEK SAGANAKI - FRIED KASSERI, GRAVIERA, OR KEFALOTERI CHEESE
Fried cheese, oozing with olive oil and smothered with Greek olives.
Fried cheese is a culture thing in the Eastern Mediterranean. I like to think of it as a laid back appetizer, enjoyed on a warm Summer day with a cool ocean breeze.
RECIPE PRINTED FROM: THEGUTSYGOURMET.NET©
INGREDIENTS: SERVES 4
● 8 (½ inch) slices kasseri, graviera, or kefalotiri cheese
● Kosher Salt
● Freshly ground black pepper
● 2 cups brandy
● 1 cup flour
● 4 tablespoons ghee, or butter
● 2 lemons, juiced
● 8 rounds of pita bread, brushed with Greek extra virgin olive oil grilled and quartered into triangles
● 1 cup Greek Kalamata olives, preferably pitted
1. Season both sides of the cheese with salt and pepper.
2. Place the cheese in a shallow dish and cover with brandy. Cover with Saran® plastic wrap and
refrigerate for 2 hours.
3. Season the flour with salt and pepper. Remove the cheese from the pan, reserving ¼ cup of the
brandy and dredge in the seasoned flour, coating completely.
4. In a large sautè pan over medium heat, melt the ghee or butter. Pan fry the cheese for 2 minutes
on each side, until golden. Add the reserved brandy and very carefully flame the liquor. Shake the
pan back and forth several times, and then add the lemon juice. Remove from the pan and serve
with the grilled pita bread and pitted olives.
Copyright 2001© - 2012© The Gutsy Gourmet® - All rights reserved