To print this page, use your browser's print button, or use the copy/paste/print method.
GARITHES SALATA - GREEK SHRIMP SALAD
A classic Greek salad with Feta Cheese, Kalamata Olives, Olive Oil, Tomatoes, Romaine and a side of Baked Pita Crisps.
Shrimp is a staple of the Greek Islands and the port city of Piraeus. Imagine yourself seated, dockside, at a waterfront restaurant on a balmy day in Greece, having a huge Greek salad just loaded with shrimp, oozing with Feta cheese dressing. Toss in some Greek wine or glass or two of ouzo, a little bouzouki music and you might never go home.
RECIPE PRINTED FROM: THEGUTSYGOURMET.NET©
INGREDIENTS: Serves 2
½ cup of cooked shrimp cut into bite sized pieces
+ 6 whole shrimp, head off , tail removed.
3 whole shrimp for each salad.
1½ cups iceberg lettuce chopped, chiffonade into ½ strips
1½ cups of Romaine lettuce chopped, chiffonade into ½ strips across the leaf
½ cup of tomatoes diced ( Can use cherry or grape tomatoes cut in half)
½ cup of a red bell pepper diced
½ cup cucumber diced
, Armenian or Greek cucumber if you can find them.
½ cup of whole kalmata olives, pitted
¼ cup of a green onion thinly sliced, Use both top and bottom, greens and whites
½ cup of Girards Greek Feta Vinaigrette**SEE COOK'S NOTE
¼ - ½ cup of crumbled feta cheese
Lemon wedges, Garnish
Baked Pita Strips:
2 pieces of pita bread cut into half inch strips
Non-stick cooking spray
1 teaspoon of kosher salt or coarse sea salt
1. Make baked pita strips by evenly spreading strips on a cookie sheet spray both sides of strips with
cooking spray and sprinkle with kosher salt. Bake in a preheated oven at 375ºF for 10 15 minutes.
Check frequently so they dont burn. Remove from oven and set aside.
2. Thaw shrimp or cook shrimp if using fresh shrimp. Remove shells, tail and veins if present. Once it
has cooled, cut into bite sized pieces.
3. Rinse and drain salad greens and pat dry.
4. Prepare the all of the salad ingredients.
5. In a large bowl add all the salad ingredients except for the feta cheese and lemon wedge and pour
dressing over salad.
6. Toss until evenly coated, plate, squeeze lemon over salad and place another wedge on the plate.
7. Top with feta cheese and baked pita strips.
If you would like to make your own Feta Dressing, the recipe follows:
Feta Cheese Vinaigrette Dressing:
¼ cup crumbled feta cheese
¼ cup fresh lemon juice
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil (Greek if you have it)
½ teaspoon sugar
½ teaspoon dried oregano
⅛ teaspoon salt
1 garlic clove, minced
Put all ingredients into a small jar or bottle and let sit ½ hour before serving.
Copyright 2001© - 2011© The Gutsy Gourmet® - All rights reserved