FRIED GREEN TOMATOES WITH RÈMOULADE SAUCE
An American Southern dish with Cajun and/or Creole origins. Has been also classified as African American "Soul Food".
Fried green tomatoes have been around for quite a long time in the Southern United States, but really became popular with the rest of the country after the movie of the same name. The Green tomatoes are plentiful in the Southern U.S. throughout the growing season, but are only really available in the Northern states during the fall because there is not enough warm temperature to ripen them that late in the growing season.
RECIPE PRINTED FROM: THEGUTSYGOURMET.NET©
INGREDIENTS: Makes 4 - 6 Servings
• 1 large egg, lightly beaten
• 1 cup buttermilk
• ½ cup all-purpose flour, divided
• 1 cup cornmeal
• 1 teaspoon salt
• ½ teaspoon pepper
• 3 medium-size green tomatoes, cut into 1/3-inch slices**SEE COOK'S NOTES**
• 3 Tablespoons bacon fat, butter or Vegetable oil
• Sea Salt to taste
• Fresh ground black pepper
DIRECTIONS: Makes 4 - 6 Servings
1. Combine egg and buttermilk; set aside.
2. Combine ¼ cup all-purpose flour, cornmeal, 1 teaspoon salt, and pepper in a shallow bowl or pan.
3. Dredge tomato slices in remaining ¼ cup flour; dip in egg mixture, and dredge in cornmeal mixture.
4. Pour oil to a depth of ¼ to ½ inch in a large cast-iron skillet; heat to 375°F.
5. Drop tomatoes, in batches, into hot oil, and cook 2 minutes on each side or until golden.
6. Drain on paper towels or a rack. Sprinkle hot tomatoes with salt and fresh ground pepper.
• 1 cup mayonnaise
• ¼ cup chili sauce
• 2 tablespoons Creole mustard
• 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
• 1 tablespoon Louisiana-style hot sauce, or to taste
• 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
• 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
• 4 medium scallions, chopped
• 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
• 2 tablespoons chopped green olives
• 2 tablespoons minced celery
• 1 clove garlic, minced
• ½ teaspoon chili powder
• 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
• ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
• 1 teaspoon capers, chopped (optional)
1. Mix together mayonnaise, chili sauce, mustard, olive oil, hot sauce, lemon juice, and Worcestershire
sauce. Stir in scallions, parsley, olives, celery, capers, and garlic. Season with chili powder, and salt
and pepper. Cover, and refrigerate.
The green tomatoes should be hard despite the color. Many tomatoes remain green even though they are ripe.
You don't want any spatter surprises by putting a juicy tomato into hot oil.
NOTE: ALTHOUGH NOT THE EXACT RECIPE SHOWN, THE VIDEOS BELOW MIGHT BE OF HELP.
HOW TO MAKE FRIED GREEN TOMATOES
HOW TO MAKE FRIED GREEN TOMATOES WITH PAULA DEEN, CELEBRITY CHEF
Copyright 2001© - 2011© The Gutsy Gourmet® - All rights reserved