RECIPE PRINTED FROM: THEGUTSYGOURMET.NET©
✹INGREDIENTS: Makes about 4 cups
• 2 tablespoons pork fatback (or bacon fat)
• 1/2 cup carrot, sliced
• 1/2 cup onion, chopped
• 1/2 cup chopped celery
• 1 teaspoon thyme
• 1 bay leaf
• 1 tablespoon salt
• 1 teaspoon pepper
• 1 1/2 cups flour
• 1/3 cup butter
• 1 1/2 quarts brown beef stock (or equivalent) **SEE COOKS NOTE**
• 1/2 cup tomato puree
• 1 cup white wine
1. Brown carrots and onions slowly with the fatback and add the seasonings.
2. In a separate pan, mix flour and butter to form a roux and add to vegetables and seasonings, mixing well.
3. add a quart of stock and simmer very slowly for three hours.
5. Let stand overnight.
6. Add remaining stock, tomato puree and wine and simmer slowly for 2 hours, skimming fat and scum.
7. Strain again. It should be a fairly thick sauce. You now are ready to use it.
1. The beef stock should be rich, which means using beef bones with some meat & a good quantity of marrow.
You can use purchased stock, but buy the best you can find. No bargain stuff....please.