EMPANADAS - LATIN AMERICAN MEAT PIE
Another culture, another variety of meat pie..
This meat pie is as combination of sausage with either beef, pork or chicken.
RECIPE PRINTED FROM: THEGUTSYGOURMET.NET©
INGREDIENTS: Serves 4
For the filling:
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 onion, diced finely
1 clove garlic, diced finely
1 carrot, diced finely
½ red bell pepper, diced finely
1 lb. extra lean ground beef
1 lb. uncooked chorizo, with casings removed
¼ cup red wine, optional
1 teaspoon cumin
1½ teaspoons smoked paprika
1 cup chopped green olives
½ cup golden raisins
2 teaspoons honey
lime wedges to serve
For the pastry:
2¼ cups flour
1½ teaspoons salt
½ cup cold unsalted butter, cut into ½ inch cubes
1 large egg
⅓ cup ice water
1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
1. To make the pastry, blend the cold butter into the flour and salt with a pastry blender or your
fingers. Mix the egg, water and vinegar, and add them to the flour mixture. Mix with a wooden
spoon until combined, then wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour.
2. Cook onion in oil until slightly browned, then add peppers, carrots and garlic, cooking for a few
3. Cook the beef along with the chorizo, in another pan. Break it up as it cooks so the meat is in fine
pieces. Drain excess fat, then add to the vegetable mixture.
4. Add optional wine and simmer for a few minutes. Then add cumin, paprika, olives, raisins, honey,
pepper and a few dashes of hot sauce. Simmer until very little liquid remains.
5. Season to taste, then remove from heat to cool before filling pastries.
6. Roll out dough to about half a centimetre thick. Cut into circles with a cutter or bowl.
7. Using your finger tip dab a little water along one edge of the rounds. This will help the pastry stay
8. Place the pastry in the palm of one hand, fill it, then lightly pinch it shut. To seal you can make a
folded edge or close with a fork.
9. Combine the egg with a little water, then brush onto each pastry. Poke a few holes with a fork into
the top of each pastry.
10. Bake at 400ºF for 20-25 minutes, until golden.
11. Serve hot with lime wedges. Squeeze a little lime juice on top right before it goes into your mouth!
Copyright 2001© - 2011© The Gutsy Gourmet® - All rights reserved