To print this page, use your browser's print button, or use the copy/paste/print method.
CANDIED CITRUS PEEL
This recipe is used for candied citrus peel of any type of citrus fruit. I almost always save the peel from any citrus used in my kitchen and then candy the peel. The peel can be frozen for later use, and the peel when candied can also be frozen for later use in its candied form.
CANDIED CITRUS PEEL
INGREDIENTS:Candies the peel of three navel oranges.
INGREDIENTS: RECIPE IS FOR 3 ORANGES, BUT CAN BE EASILY ADJUSTED
● 1 cup water
● 1 cup granulated sugar
● 3 navel oranges, washed with warm soap and water to remove any waxes and pesticides, and rinse well
● Remove zest with a vegetable peeler or Rotato Express® **SEE COOK'S NOTE** and cut into
½ inch long strips (Can use any citrus peel)
● 3 tablespoons superfine sugar
1. In a small saucepan over moderate heat bring water with granulated sugar to a boil. Add zest and simmer,
stirring occasionally, 15 minutes.
✚ Preheat your oven to 120℉
2. Drain the cooked zest through a strainer or fine sieve
3. Spread the cooked peel onto parchment covered cookie sheet and place in the warm oven for 30 minutes.
4. Remove from the oven and let cool.
5. Cut candied strips into the size you prefer.
6. Place the candied peel in a small zip-lock® bag with the superfine sugar and coat the candied peel.
7. The peel is now ready to use or to refrigerate or freeze.
The ROTATO EXPRESS® is an electric potato peeler. The one I have will run on electricity from a kitchen outlet, or 4 AA batteries.
This is one of the best and lowest priced electric peelers out there. It peels potatoes perfectly as well as carrots, tomatoes, and
most fruits. It works especially well on citrus fruits, removing the peel (zest) and not the white bitter pith beneath the skin.
It removes the skin or peel without any wasteful cutting of edible flesh of the fruit or vegetable. I would be lost in my kitchen
It will remove the peel of an orange in one neat 4 foot length. It will peel a potato of only the skin, and then in one long strip
which depending on the size of the potato could result in a shoestring strip of potato as long as 6 to 8 feet long. Imagine
frying a filet of fish in that string of potato and then frying it in a potato wrapper. Just one great idea of many more you can
This great little gadget can be yours for around $25.00 at most stores and at Amazon or E-bay.
NOTE: ALTHOUGH NOT THE EXACT RECIPE PRESENTED, THE VIDEO(S) BELOW MIGHT BE OF HELP TO YOU.
U-TUBE VIDEO - HOW TO MAKE CANDIED CITRUS PEEL - Jacques Pépin video