RECIPE PRINTED FROM: THEGUTSYGOURMET.NET©
RELLONES CHILIS Y CAMARONES
INGREDIENTS: makes 8 - 10
• 8-10 large Aneheim or poblano chiles (stems attached)
• 16-20 large prawns, shelled & deveined
• 2 Tablespoon(s) olive oil
• ½ Teaspoon(s) cayenne pepper
• ¾ lb. grated Monterey jack cheese
• ½ cup fine tortilla chip crumbs [process]
• ½ cup all purpose flour
• 1 Tablespoon(s) paprika
• 2½ Teaspoon(s). salt
• 1 Teaspoon(s) ground black pepper
• Corn oil for frying
• 4 egg yolks, beaten
• 4 egg whites, beaten almost to meringue
• ½ cup sharp cheddar cheese
• Fresh salsa, preferably green tomatillo salsa
• Coat prawns in olive oil with cayenne and 1 tsp. salt. Barbecue prawns or cook in a skillet until pink [about 2 minutes on each side] Cut praws in half lengthwise.
• Roast peppers on barbecue until skins are charred. Cool and peel.
• Slit the peppers and stuff with Monterey jack cheese and 4 prawn halves.
• Fold in the egg whites with the yolks. Mix together the flour, tortilla chip crumbs, paprika, salt & pepper. Dip the stuffed chiles in flour, then the egg mixture and then into
the flour mixture until they are well coated. Heat the Crisco® in a deep skillet at 375ºF.
• Place the chiles in the hot oil suspended on a slotted ladel. Cook until golden. Lift and place on paper towels to drain.
• Arrange chiles rellenos on a serving platter, sprinkle with cheddar cheese and place under the broiler until the cheese has melted. Serve immediately.
** Serve with green chile salsa or green tomato salsa