SINGAPOREAN CHILI CRAB
INGREDIENTS FOR CRAB PREPARATION:Serves 4 - 6
● 2 large live Dungeness crabs, each about 1¼ - 1½ pounds
● 10-12 fresh red chiles, stemmed, seeded and
● chopped or 6 dried Asian chiles (3 inches long), stemmed, seeded,
● chopped and soaked in warm water to cover for 10 minutes, drained
● 2 tablespoons minced garlic, or to taste
● 2 tablespoons minced shallots
● 1 tablespoon finely grated ginger-root
● 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, plus additional
INGREDIENTS FOR THE SAUCE:
● ½ cup ketchup
● 1½ cups water
● 1 tablespoon Asian fish sauce, such as Nam Pla
● ⅓ cup Thai sweet chile sauce
● 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
● 1 tablespoon cornstarch combined with 2 tablespoons water
● 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
● 3 tablespoons sliced scallion for garnish
● Slices of white bread as an accompaniment, if desired
1. In a casserole or large pot of boiling salted water, add the crabs and cook them for about 1 minute, or until no longer moving.
Drain and set aside until cool enough to handle.
2. To clean the crabs pull off top shells; pull and twist off each apron; remove gills. With sharp knife cut crabs into quarters,
rinse and drain.
3. In mortar and pestle or small food processor pound or process chiles, garlic, shallots and ginger with a little oil if necessary.
4. Combine all sauce ingredients.
5. Heat a wok over moderately high heat. Add 2 tablespoons oil and heat until hot. Add chili and garlic paste and stir-fry 1 minute. Add crabs
and stir-fry 2 to 3 minutes or until shells turn red. Add sauce ingredients, bring to boil and simmer, covered, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer crabs
to serving dish.
6. Bring sauce in wok to a boil. Stir cornstarch mixture and add to wok. Simmer until thickened. Gradually add eggs in a stream, whisking, and
cook for 1 minute. Pour sauce over crabs and garnish with scallions.