To print this page, use your browser's print button, or use the copy/paste/print method.
GRILLED CALAMARI SALAD
This salad is one that has flavor that will knock your socks off. A little effort, but worth the time.
This is the place to get out of the rut using just potatoes in your latkes. Mixing the vegetable up a little gives you not only a brightly colored latke, but a whole new level of flavor. Just remember these are for the Holiday Season!
INGREDIENTS: Serves 4
• 1 cup flat-leaf parsley, washed and dried
• 1 lemon
• ¼ tsp. crushed red-pepper flakes
• 1 tsp. fresh rosemary, chopped
• 1 lb. fresh squid (tubes and heads and tentacles), cleaned (remove beaks, eyes, innards, and ink sacs,
or have your fishmonger do it for you)
• ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
• 5 radishes, washed
• Salt and pepper to taste
• Chile oil, optional
• Optional salad fixings, see COOK'S NOTES**
1. Chop 2 tablespoons of parsley. Zest and finely chop half a lemon. Place in mixing bowl with
crushed pepper and rosemary.
2. Add squid, and toss with enough olive oil to coat. Marinate overnight or at least 1 hour. Thinly
slice radishes with mandolin. Place them in a large bowl, and toss with remaining parsley leaves,
juice from lemon, salt and pepper, and a splash of olive oil. Set aside.
3. Over high heat, grill calamari including the tentacles on a cast-iron grill pan**SEE COOK'S NOTE.
Press down on the squid with a weight to get "grill marks". After approximately 3 minutes, flip
and finish cooking for 2 to 3 minutes more. Remove from pan; toss squid in bowl with radishes and
parsley to catch the cooking juices.
4. Remove squid from bowl, slice into rings, return rings and tentacles to bowl. Divide into 4 portions,
serve on plates garnished with a drizzle of chile oil or extra-virgin olive oil.
The squid can be grilled on a gas or charcoal barbecue. Use a wire grilling pan, or carefully grill just long enough for grill marks to appear.
You can use your imagination for your salad. Use sliced avocados, manadarin oranges, raw
mushrooms, micro-greens. Just don't over-dress the salad, and keep it a simple lemon juice
and a very good extra virgin olive oil.
NOTE: THE VIDEO BELOW MIGHT BE OF HELP
The video is not of this actual recipe, but is a very good guide for the preparation and possibly for