RECIPE PRINTED FROM: THEGUTSYGOURMET.NET©
Calamarata with squid sauce
✹INGREDIENTS: Serves 6 - 8
• 3 lbs. calamari, (squid) cleaned and cut. Cut the tubular body into 1/4 inch rings and by all means use the tentacles.
• 1/3 cup olive oil
• 1/4 cup white sherry
• 1 tablespoon crushed fresh garlic
• 1/2 lemon
• 1 teaspoon dry basil or 1 tablespoon fresh
• 1 teaspoon dry oregano or 1 tablespoon fresh
• 1/4 teaspoon dry crushed red pepper
• Red Sauce [below]**
• In large skillet heat olive oil at high heat. Add sherry wine and sautè crushed garlic. CAUTION: This
procedure will flame up! If you are cooking indoors , add wine and lemon juice after the calamari has
been sautèed. Squeeze the juice of 1/2 lemon into the pan and place the lemon rind in the pan.
Sprinkle herbs over and add calamari. Sautè calamari for approximately 2 minutes on high heat.
Do not over-cook!
• 1 lb whole, peeled tomatoes, canned or fresh
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 1/2 green pepper chopped
• 1 stalk celery, chopped
• 1 medium-sized yellow onion, chopped
• 3 cloves fresh garlic, minced
1. Mash tomatoes with potato masher and set aside. In medium-size pan heat oil, add chopped ingredients and sautè until onion is transparent.
2. Add mashed tomatoes and simmer for 1/2 hour.
3. Pour red sauce over calamari and heat for 1 minute.
1. If you cannot find calamarata pasta, you can substitute with Rigatoni, although rigatoni is a longer cut of tube shape pastaand is ridged.
1. The secret for tender calamari is to cook it no longer than 2 minutes, but if you must, then no shorter than 1 hour. Capish? For this dish,
I like to put the calamari in the sauce and, to cook it for over an hour.