RECIPE PRINTED FROM: THEGUTSYGOURMET.NET©
Basic Caesar Salad
✹INGREDIENTS:SERVES FOR 6 SALADS
✹ 1 medium sized garlic clove, mashed and spread with a knife to a smooth paste.
✹ Pinch of kosher salt
✹ 6 whole anchovy fillets, packed in olive oil, mashed together with the garlic and salt
✹ yolks of two raw eggs
✹ 2 Tablespoon(s) fresh squeezed lemon juice
✹ ¾ Teaspoon(s) Dijon mustard
✹ ½ cup extra virgin olive oil, (The best you can afford) plus 2 Tablespoon(s)
✹ 3 Tablespoon(s) finely grated Parmesiano Reggiano cheese
✹ 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce (optional)**SEE COOKS NOTE**
✹ Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
✹ 3 cups torn 1 inch pieces of French or Italian bread
✹ 3 heads of whole Romaine lettuce hearts.
✹ ½ cup shaved Parmesiano Reggiano cheese for topping
1. Mash the garlic cloves and anchovies together with the pinch of salt.
2. Add the egg yolks, lemon juice, Dijon mustard and Worcestershire sauce if using.
3. Drop by drop, add the two tablespoons of Olive oil to the mix.
4. Now add the ½ cup of olive oil and whisk to a glossy mixture.
5. Now whip in the 3 tablespoons of ground parmesan cheese and season with salt and pepper. This can be made
1 day ahead and refrigerated until needed.
1. Tear your bread into 1 inch pieces. (note: Pieces cut with a knife will not hold the dressing as well a torn pieces)
2. Toss your bread together with an additional 3 tablespoons of olive oil and place on a baking sheet and bake at 375ºF until golden
brown. (About 15 minutes)
1. Use the whole leaves of the romaine, or tear into very large pieces.
1. Use grated Parmesan cheese only for incorporation into the dressing. Top off the salad with a minimal amount of shaved Parmesan cheese.
ASSEMBLE YOUR SALAD:
1. To toss the salad, use your hands and fingers to toss. This assures the even dispersement of the dressing throughout the salad.
1. The Worcestershire sauce and anchovies are used to give the taste to the dressing the “umami” effect. Which is a “flavor sense”
from an ingredient that enhances the taste.