To print this page, use your browser's print button, or use the copy/paste/print method.
BEEF AND/OR LAMB CABBAGE ROLLS
Eastern Europe and Middle Eastern countries love their vegetable leaf roll-ups.
RECIPE PRINTED FROM: THEGUTSYGOURMET.NET©
MIDDLE EASTERN CABBAGE ROLLS
INGREDIENTS: SERVES 4 −6
● 2 small cloves garlic
● 1 small cabbage
● 2 lb. ground beef or half beef and half lamb
● 2 medium onions
● ½ Teaspoon(s) salt
● ½ Teaspoon(s) pepper
● ½ Teaspoon(s) curry powder (optional)
● 1 Cup(s) tomato juice (see tomato sauce)
● 3 Tablespoon(s) minced parsley and dill weed
● 1 Cup(s) white rice (Basmati), pre-washed and soaked in water 5 minutes
● 4 Tablespoon(s) 100% sunflower oil or Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1. Clean outer layer of cabbage. Prepare boiling water in medium-sized saucepan. Add 1 tablespoon salt. Peel off leaves
and put them in water to boil 3 minutes. Add the small interior of cabbage to boil for 2 minutes. Then peel it all off.
2. Chop the onions and garlic and put them in the oil to be fried. As soon as the onion turns yellow, add the meat and cook at
medium temperature for 15 minutes. Add tomato juice and stir, leave for another 15 minutes. Add salt, pepper, curry, parsley
and dill weed to meat. Mix well, take meat off stove and add rice and stir. Cut large cabbage leaves in half, put 3 tablespoons
meat and rice into leaves, then roll tight and put in deep saucepan. Add 2 cups hot water, boil on high for 30 minutes, then on
medium for another 15 minutes.
How to roll up vegetable leaves for filling
Tomato Sauce For Cabbage Rolls:
● 2 Cup(s) tomato juice
● 1 small onion
● 2 Tablespoon(s) butter
● salt and pepper to taste
● Sautè onion in butter, add tomato juice, salt and pepper and cook on medium 15 to 20 minutes.
Copyright 2001© - 2012© TheGutsyGourmet® - All rights reserved