RECIPE PRINTED FROM: THEGUTSYGOURMET.NET©
Spanish Bread and Garlic Sopa
✹INGREDIENTS: Soup for 4
• About 6 cups of cubed, day old, crusty bread
• ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil, plus more to drizzle on bread cubes
• 6-10 thinly sliced garlic cloves**SEE COOKS NOTE**
• 2 oz ham diced
• 1-2 tsp paprika or to taste
• 6 cups chicken broth
• 4 large eggs
• ¼ cup chopped Italian parsley
• salt, pepper, cayenne to taste
• 2 ounces manchego cheese, grated for garnish
1. Heat the oil in a heavy frying pan. Add not-too-thinly sliced garlic. Garlic should be a golden brown. Before the garlic turns brown, add the cubed ham
and the slices of bread. Sauté for a few minutes on medium heat.
2. Add the sweet paprika, followed by the water and salt. Bring to a slow boil. Boil for 5-10 minutes.
3. To poach the eggs, break them into the soup, carefully adding to the soup one at a time. Baste the top of the eggs with the hot soup
4. Scoop out poached eggs one at a time into soup bowls. Then, slowly ladle the soup into each bowl. The poached eggs should float to the top. (For esthetics only.)
5. Top the soup with grated Spanish Manchego cheese or Parmesiano Reggiano cheese…Enjoy!
1. It is best to slice the garlic with a mandolin or a vegetable peeler. They should be very thin. I have done it with a sharp paring knife as well.