To print this page, use your browser's print button, or use the copy/paste/print method.
BLEU EYE APPLE PIE
A completely reworked recipe for an Original Gutsy Gourmet Recipe
This pie is for lovers of pies with cheese and apples. Not Cheddar, but Maytag® Bleu!
If you try this pie I would love to hear from you. It is different, but so am I.
• 3 lbs. Granny Smith Apples
• 1 cup superfine granulated sugar
• 1 teaspoon cinnamon
• 1/4 tsp fresh ground nutmeg
• 3/4 cup crumbled "Maytag®" bleu cheese
• 3 cups all purpose flour
• 2/3 cup Crisco® shortening (cold)
• 1/3 cup unsalted butter
• 1 1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
• 1/3 - 1 cup ice cold water
• 1 Tablespoon crystalline or plain granulated sugar
• 1 egg plus 1 Tablespoon cold water egg wash
• 1/8 inch slice of blue cheese or crumbles.
• 1/4 cup crumbled Maytag® blue cheese (Sprinkled on hot crust when pie is baked)
1. Peel, core and slice the apples into a large bowl with sugar, cinammon and nutmeg. (Slices should
be no more than 1/2 - 3/4 inch at the widest point.
2.Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight for the juices run and the apple slices to
shrink. This step makes for a denser filling.
1. Preheat your oven to 425ºF. Place a sheet pan in the second to the lowest rack.
2. Mix your dry ingredients in a large bowl, (Flour & Salt) Cut in Crisco® shortening and butter into the
flour with two butter knives. This method gives you the pea sized crumbs you need for a good pastry
3. Add your ice water a tablespoon at a time. Use a dinner fork to work the pea size dough pellets with
the cold water. FOR A FLAKY CRUST DO NOT OVERWORK THE DOUGH.
4. Divide your dough in half and wrap in plastic wrap and put in the refrigerator for about 1/2 hour.
5. Roll out your dough for the bottom crust and place into a 9.5 inch deep dish pie plate. I use Emile
6. Roll out your top crust and set aside. (I like to use my crust protector as a cutter to get a nice round
Assemble the pie:
1. Take your apple slices from the bowl and spread in a very even layer over the bottom crust. (DO NOT USE THE JUICE)
2 Evenly sprinkle the 3/4 cup bleu cheese over the top of the apple slices.
3. Pour the apple juices from the large bowl into a large measuring cup. Add 2 tablespoons of
cornstarch for every cup of liquid juices. Whisk the cornstarch and the juices together and evenly
distribute over the contents of your pie.
4. Now place the top crust over the pie and with the thumb and forefinger of each hand, held together,
pinch the top and bottom crust together as you go around the pie.
Finish Crust For Baking:
1. Cut a 3/4 inch hole in the top crust in the exact center of the pie as a vent.
2. 3 inches below the center hole, cut 5 slits with a sharp knife about 1 inch long and evenly placed in
a circle around the enter hole.
3. Take your egg wash and with a pastry brush, paint the top of the pie with the wash.
4. Sprinkle the tablespoon of crystalline sugar or granulated sugar evenly over the top of the pie.
Baking The Pie:
1. Cover the edges of your pie with the crust protector or 2 inch wide strips of aluminum foil to keep
the edges from burning.
2. Place the pie in your preheated oven for 35-40 minutes.
3. Remove the crust protector and bake for an additional 15 minutes or until the crust is shade of
golden brown that you desire.
4. Turn oven off and sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup of bleu cheese crumbles over the top of the pie.
Just as they begin to melt, remove the pie and cool at least 2 hours before serving.
Copyright 2001© - 2011© The Gutsy Gourmet® - All rights reserved