To print this page, use your browser's print button.
ARMENIAN BISHI (BEESHEE) & TUKALIC
Armenian Zeppoli or donut holes.
Bishi is a yeast dough and Tukalic is a baking powder dough.
Every culture seems to deep fry leftover dough!
Printed from THEGUTSYGOURMET.NET
• 1 (1/4 ounce) package yeast
• 3/4 cup warm water
• 1 teaspoon sugar
• 2 eggs
• 1 cup flour
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• vegetable oil
1. Dissolve yeast in warm water with sugar.
2. Whisk in eggs.
3. Add flour and salt to make a batter a little thicker than pancake batter.
4. Allow to rise in a warm spot until double in bulk.
5. Heat oil to 375ºF.
6. Drop by spoonfuls in hot oil. Keep them rolling around until browned.
7. Drain and serve with powdered sugar or maple syrup.
INGREDIENTS: Makes 20 balls
• 1 cup flour
• 1 egg
• 1½ tsp. B.P.
• ½ tsp. salt
• ¾ cup water
• 1 qt. veg. oil
Mix all ingredients thoroughly except oil. Heat oil in a 2-quart saucepan. Oil must be hot. Test by dropping a small amount of batter in hot oil. It should turn golden brown quickly.
Drop batter using a tablespoon for each ball of dough, frying about 5 at a time. Remove each one as
it turns golden brown like a doughnut and drain on paper towels. Cool to lukewarm and sprinkle with
powdered sugar or serve with syrup or honey.
NOTE: Armenians also like them plain with Feta Cheese
Copyright 2001© 2011© The Gutsy Gourmet® - All rights reserved