THE QUEEN OF TARTSİ
A Gutsy Gourmet Original Recipe
Buzz Baxter's original prize winning recipe featured in the September 1998 issue of Sunset Magazine!
The recipe was Buzz Baxter's entry to commemorate the 100th Anniversary of Sunset Magazine.
This recipe features yogurt cheese and fresh spearmint, as well as Oregon berries.
Prep and cook time: About 30 minutes preparation time. About 1 hour wait time while dough is
refrigerated and resting. Two hours of chilling time for the filling. 15 minutes baking time for the
crust. 15 - 30 minutes cooling time for the crust.
Makes: 6 - 8 servings
1 cup flour
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup butter
1 Tbsp. water
1. In a medium mixing bowl stir together the flour and brown sugar. Using a pastry blender, cut butter
in the flour mixture. Add the water the mixture. Toss with a fork until moistened. Shape crust dough
into a ball and refrigerate for one hour. Roll out dough into a 12 inch circle. Press dough evenly onto
the bottom and sides of a 9 inch tart pan with a removable bottom. Bake in a 400 degree oven for
10-15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool the crust completely on a wire rack.
(No cook) Cream Cheese Filling:
6 oz. Marscapone cheese
1/2 cup drained yogurt cheese
1 tsp. lemon zest
1 1/2 teaspoons freshly chopped spearmint
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1. In a mixing bowl, blend the above ingredients until smooth. Chill covered for a couple of hours or
until ready to fill the tart shell.
2. Spread cream cheese filling evenly over the tart shell.
Berries and Glace':
2 cups mixed Oregon berries, either Marionberries, blueberries, Boysenberries or if in season,
1/4 cup Seedless Blackberry , Oregon Huckleberry or Oregon Salal Berry jam.
1. Arrange fresh berries on top the creme filling.
2. Heat the blackberry, huckleberry or salal jam in a small saucepan until melted to make the glace'.
Cool the berry jam glace' and then drizzle over the fruit.
3. Remove the tart from the tart pan, and serve immediately.