To print this page, use your browser's print button, or use the copy/paste/print method.
BEEROCKS OR BIEROCKS - A GERMAN MEAT PIE
This is a Volga German or Russian/German favorite and uses either ground beef, or shredded pot roast beef mixed with cabbage, onions and lots of black pepper. They really go well with beer, Lederhosen, and oomp-pah-pah music.
This meat pie seems to have resurfaced in the San Joaquin Valley around Fresno. There dwells a large settlement of Germans with Russian ties. It was and probably still is a "fast food" with a German twist. Some restaurants and bakeries still make and sell them to the large population of Roosian-Germans in the area.
RECIPE PRINTED FROM: THEGUTSYGOURMET.NET©
INGREDIENTS: Makes 1˝ dozen
• 1 large head cabbage, shredded
• 2 Yellow onions, chopped
• 2 cloves garlic, chopped
• 3-4 lb. seven bone roast
• 4 tblsp. canola oil
• 2 tblsp. ground black pepper
• salt to taste
• 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper (optional])
• 3 loaves frozen bread dough (Supermarket frozen food section) or make your own
1. In a large skillet, salt and pepper the roast on both sides.
2. Brown off roast on both sides.
3. Add water to cover and cook roast on
stove top or a 350°F degree oven until roast is well cooked.
Set aside and cool. When cool, shred the beef and remove all fat.
In another large skillet, saute the onions and garlic until onion is almost
6. Add the shredded cabbage and cook until limp.
7. Add salt, pepper
and shredded beef to the cabbage mixture and let stand until cool.
1. Cut the frozen loaves into 4 sections each and let rise again.
Roll out each section into an 8 inch square. Place 2-3 tablespoons
of filling onto the square and roll
up, folding the sides in so no filling will escape
from the roll.
3. Set the Beerocks aside to rise again. Place the
beerocks on a foil lined (spray the foil with Pam or
other canned oil spray]) baking sheet and cook in a 350°F degree oven for 25-30 minutes
4. If you like a crusty beerock, spray the rolls with water
just as they begin to brown. This may be
repeated during the browning process. Serve hot
Copyright 2001© - 2011© The Gutsy Gourmet® - All rights reserved