To print this page, use your browser's print button, or use the copy/paste/print method.
BEER BATTER BREAD WITH GUINNESS EXTRA STOUT
A robust bread that will not last long.
The beer gives the bread a tanginess that just makes you ask for more.
RECIPE PRINTED FROM: THEGUTSYGOURMET.NET©
INGREDIENTS: Makes 1 large loaf
• 5 cups all-purpose flour **SEE COOK'S NOTES**
• 3 teaspoons double-acting baking powder**SEE COOK'S NOTES**
• 1˝ teaspoons salt**SEE COOK'S NOTES**
• 1˝ cups sour cream
• 3 tablespoons sugar
• 12 ounces Guinness extra stout beer or a favorite dark beer.
• 1 tablespoon butter
• ˝ teaspoon Herbes de Provence (optional)
1. Combine the sifted flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl; blend well.
2. Pour in the sour cream and beer and mix thoroughly but do not beat mixture.
3. Grease a 2-1/2 quart baking dish or 10 inch round baking pan. Preheat oven to 350°F degrees.
4. Pour mixture into pan and bake for 40-45 minutes.
5. Remove and brush top with 1 tablespoon of butter. Return to oven and bake 15 minutes longer,
or until browned and sounds "hollow" when tapped.
•Serving Ideas: Serve with chili or baked beans.
Per serving: 3504 Calories; 90g Fat (24% calories from fat); 77g Protein; 570g
Carbohydrate; 153mg Cholesterol; 4634mg Sodium
1. If using self-rising flour, omit the baking powder and salt.
2. Use Herbes de Provence or a combination of herbs and spices as you wish. Try some dried basil,
oregano, sage and rosemary.
3. This does not keep as well as regular biscuits or bread, so eat right away. Leftovers do make good
Copyright 2001© - 2011© The Gutsy Gourmet® - All rights reserved