To print this page, use your browser's print button, or use the copy/paste/print method.
ARMENIAN BASTERMA - A CURED MEAT OF SIRLOIN OR BEEF TENDERLOIN
This is an appetizer that when served your guests will know you left nothing off the great food list. A very spicy cured meat that takes very little to satisfy the appetizer course of a fine dinner.
If you are planning on going all out for your dinner party or Holiday feast, basterma is number one on the list of showing your guests you really care. This is an appetizer that is served only on rare and very special occasions. It is served sliced paper thin and makes a statement that it is very special.
RECIPE PRINTED FROM: THEGUTSYGOURMET.NET©
INGREDIENTS: Serves 10
• 2.2 lbs Beef Sirloin or tenderloin
• 4 Tbs. Morton's Tender Quick Cure
CHAIMEN SPICE MIX:
• 3 Tbs. Fenugreek
• 2 Tbs. Paprika
• 2 Tbs. Powdered garlic
• 1 ˝ tsp. Cumin
• 1 tsp. Allspice
• 1 tsp. Ground Black Pepper
• 1 tsp. Cayenne Pepper
1. Select a cut of beef from sirloin and trim it to about four inches thick, removing all fat and
2. Mix the cure and the remaining ingredients and process in a spice mill or coffee grinder to a
3. Rub meat with this mixture and store in half gallon ZipLock® bag in the refrigerator for 6 days.
Rotate the bag once a day but do not drain off any of the liquid.
4. After 6 days, rinse meat with cold water and drain until the surface is dry. This can be done in the
refrigerator if desired.
5. When the meat is dry, enclose it in netting, cheesecloth or nylon stocking and hang in a dry airy
place (65° F and 50% humidity) until dry (about 4 days).
6. The basterma is now ready to eat. Slice paper thin to serve.
Basterma should be made in October or November when the temperature is relatively moderate and the
humidity is low. This is like the temperature in Fresno, California. If you live on the East Coast or the
South, you may want to make this at another time of the year. You can always buy it pre-made from
most Armenian Delicatessens.
Copyright 2001© - 2011© The Gutsy Gourmet® - All rights reserved