To print this page, use your browser's print button, or use the copy/paste/print method.
MEDITERRANEAN APPLE DOLMA - BAKED APPLES FILLED WITH RICE, NUTS, RAISINS, AND FETA CHEESE
A semi-sweet side dish that will go with pork, chicken, or turkey.
This is a delicately flavored side dish that blends the flavors of the Mediterranean and the Middle East.
RECIPE PRINTED FROM: THEGUTSYGOURMET.NET©
INGREDIENTS: Makes 6
Apples as needed (recipe will need 6 apples)(Suggest Jonagold Apples)
1/2 cup rice
1/2 cup raisins
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
4 cups boiling water
1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup crumbled Feta Cheese
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
1/4 cup melted butter
1/4 cup shredded Asiago or Romano cheese for garnish
1. Cut off tops of apples and set aside. Leaving on the stems would add a decorative touch if you plan to serve with the tops on.
2. Take out core of apple and leave a 1 to 1 1/2 inch diameter reservoir to allow for filling.
3. Sprinkle about 1/4 of the sugar into the apple reservoirs.
4. Add salt and rice to the boiling water and cook covered for 10 minutes. .
5. Add raisins and cook for 5 minutes more
6. Remove from the fire and pour off water and then add cold water over mixture to cool, and then strain.
7. Add 1/4 cup sugar, cinnamon, walnuts, pine nuts, Feta cheese, and butter to the mixture.
8. Fill the apples with the mixture and add a pinch of cinnamon to the top of each. Replace the apple tops and arrange in a baking dish.
9. Add 2 cups of boiling water, to which the remaining sugar has been added, to the baking dish.
10. Cover baking dish and bake in a 350° degree oven until the apples are soft. (Baste apples
occasionally with the liquid. When apples are nearly cooked, remove cover and bake uncovered for
approximately 10 minutes. total baking time is about 40 minutes.
11. Sprinkle the grated Asiago or Romano cheese on the hot apples so the cheese will melt a little.
Replace the apple tops if desired, or just set on the side for a garnish.
COOKS NOTE* If serving on individual plates, add a little of the pan syrup to the plate and place the apple on the syrup.
Copyright 2001© - 2011© The Gutsy Gourmet® - All rights reserved